Frequently Asked Questions About Heat PumpsGet answers to your questions about heat pumps, an efficient option for electric heating and cooling!
Heat pump technology is not new—but improvements in efficiency, along with city, state, and federal climate goals—have brought heat pumps to the forefront of the discussion. This document contains questions most often asked about heat pumps and their role in transitioning to all electric buildings that can be powered by clean energy. In this interactive resource, you will discover answers to topics such as:
- What are the different types of heat pumps and how do they work?
- What are the benefits of heat pumps?
- How do heat pumps perform in cold climates?
- How do you make sure your electrical service panel is correctly sized to your heat pump?
- How can policymakers enable heat pumps in affordable housing?
- What incentives are available today for installing heat pumps?
- And much more!
For more information on heat pumps, watch this IREC recorded webinar, Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pumps—Efficacy and Building Readiness. Produced in November 2022, the webinar focuses on how heat pumps are transforming buildings in cold climates, including multifamily and commercial buildings as well as the benefits of switching to a heat pump and how to maximize your investment through cost effective weatherization.
This material was developed by the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). It is based upon work supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) under the Award Number DE-EE0009455 (“EMPOWERED”). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of the U.S. Department of Energy or the United States Government.