A Checklist for Building Owners Considering Solar EnergyIf you're the owner of a residential or commercial building, use this guide to help decide if solar energy is right for you.
Today, installing a solar electric system on the rooftop of a residential or commercial building makes good financial sense, helping you save energy, lower your electric bills, and reduce pollution. As you explore installing solar panels on your building, you will find you have many choices. Using this checklist puts important information in your hands that you need to know before entering into a contract to install a solar PV system.
This resource is a two-page downloadable PDF file. Complete the form on the right-hand side to download the resource.
To save money by improving efficiency …
- Energy Efficiency and Weatherization (U.S. Department of Energy)
- Top 10 Checklist for Creating Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings (Florida Solar Energy Center)
To educate yourself about solar and energy storage technology …
- Going Solar FAQs (California Solar & Storage Association (CALSSA))
- Benefits of Adding Energy Storage (American Clean Power/ Energy Storage Association)
- What Is Net Metering? (Solar Energy Industries Association)
- Solar Energy in the United States (U.S DOE)
To find out about installer licensing requirements in your state …
This material was developed by the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). It is based upon work supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) under the Award Number DE-EE0009455 (“EMPOWERED”). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of the U.S. Department of Energy or the United States Government.